- The flex-fuel variant of Toyota Innova HyCross can run on a 20% or more ethanol blend.
- It makes use of the 2.0-litre engine found on the standard model.
- The ethanol-blended petrol reduces the hydrocarbon emissions of the MPV.
Toyota Kirloskar Motor showcased its range of alternative fuel vehicles on the opening day of Bharat Mobility Global Expo 2024 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi. The automaker reaffirmed its commitment to national priorities and Atma Bharat Initiatives. Putting its green tech on showcase, the automaker displayed the Toyota Innova Hycross electrified flex fuel vehicle, Mirai fuel cell EV, and HyRyder CNG. Also on display was the Hilux pickup truck.
Table of Contents
Toyota Innova HyCross flex fuel: A step towards the future
The Toyota Innova HyCross flex fuel was first unveiled in India back in August 2023. This version of the MPV can run on a 20% or more ethanol blend. It is powered by the same 2.0-litre engine that is found on the regular HyCross. This engine is BS6 Stage-II compliant. The ethanol-blended petrol greatly reduces the carbon emissions of the vehicles.
This 2.0-litre engine produces a maximum power output of 152hp and 187Nm torque on the standard model. It is paired with fifth-gen strong hybrid tech (M20A FXS) and can produce a combined power of 186hp. The hybrid tech is also present on the flex fuel variant of the MPV. A strong hybrid means that the HyCross is powered solely by its battery 60% of the time. The remaining 40% of the time, it relies on ethanol-blended petrol. The presence of a strong hybrid further reduces the emissions from the car.
The Toyota Innova HyCrosss flex-fuel prototype gets different spark plugs, valves, and piston ring tops. These components are water-resistant and corrosion-proof. A three-way catalyst in the exhaust system is also pivotal in reducing hydrocarbon emissions. The prototype’s fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel lines have an ethanol sensor.
The HyRyder CNG was also a part of Toyota’s panel at the Bharat Mobility Global Expo 2024. Powered by the 1.5-litre K15C four-cylinder engine, the SUV produces a maximum power output of 88hp and 121.5Nm in a CNG setting. Its fuel economy is 26.6km/kg. The petrol power HyRyder produces 103hp and 136Nm.
Mr Masakazu Yoshimura, MD and CEO, Toyota Kirloskar Motor and Regional CEO, Toyota Motor Corporation said, “We are delighted to participate in the Bharat Global Mobility Global Expo 2024, as it provides an excellent opportunity to showcase our cutting-edge green vehicles technologies, reinforces our commitment for the Indian market and demonstrating our alignment with critical national priorities such as ‘Atma Nirbhar Bharat’, ‘Energy security’ and ‘Carbon Neutrality.”
Toyota Hilux and Mirai were also showcased at the automaker’s panel at the Bharat Mobility Global Expo 2024. The Mirai is a fuel-cell EV that runs on hydrogen. It is currently not for sale in India although Toyota retails in global markets. Keep watching this space for more updates from the BMGE 2024!